Monday, October 8, 2012

Magnesium and Pregnancy

I started taking a magnesium supplement a few days ago at the suggestions of some local mommas as a way to help with my Braxton Hicks. I had been taking Natural Calm before I even got pregnant to help with leg cramps. These cramps had started when I was pregnant with Jude and never really went away. There is nothing more annoying than waking up in the middle of the night with leg discomfort. I am guessing I was most likely deficient in magnesium this entire time. For some silly reason I stopped taking it when I got pregnant. Most likely because the thought of ingesting anything for about the first 15 weeks made me feel gross.  I drink the Natural Calm three times a day to spread out the dosage.

Since taking the Natural Calm I have had a lot less Braxton Hicks. Additionally, I haven't had middle of the night leg cramps or really woken up in the middle of the night at all. I had been waking up almost every night unable to sleep for about two hours. Since taking the supplement my night wakings are nonexistent.

Here is an article from Wellness Mama on magnesium supplementation. Here is some more information on Magnesium and Pregnancy.

I also plan on taking some Salt baths. I was adding Epsom salt to the bath for the kids but ran out. I need to add it to the shopping list. I also give Jude and Eliza Natural Calm though I do want to get them Kid Calm but they don't sell it locally.

Have you had any positive experiences taking a magnesium supplement?

0 comments: